At Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine, we are a group of psychiatrists in Augusta County, VA who treat people with a variety of mental disorders. At Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine, we are well aware that we live in a world full of stress: stress about finances, jobs, relationships, and the list goes on. So, to help improve mental health, we have compiled a small list of ideas about how to relieve everyday stress in minutes:
- Physical touch: Giving someone a hug, or even petting an animal, instantly releases hormones in your body that boost your mood.
- Breathe deeply: There are multiple breathing techniques out there that can help reduce stress. Ultimately, all of these techniques cause you to pause and calm down, making your stress melt away.
- Exercise your brain: Mental games are not only beneficial for your cognitive abilities, they also help to take your mind off of the factors that are causing you stress at the moment. Play a game of Sudoku, work on a crossword, or even play games in your head that don’t require pen and paper like counting backward from 1,000.
- Talk it out: A lot of times when we are stressed, talking about our problems to a mental health professional, or even to a friend or a co-worker, can help us to process what we’re feeling and sort through the issues of the day.
- Get outdoors: Fresh air and sunlight can give you an instant pick-me-up. Put down the phone, step away from the screen, and engage with nature.
If you are feeling like stress is beginning to weigh you down, Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine is here to help. For more stress-relieving tips, visit Psychology Today.