Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine is a group of psychiatrists in Augusta County, VA. At our office, we want to help people get the help they need. Treating patients with PTSD is one of our specialties. Here is some important information about PTSD:
- PTSD stands for post-traumatic stress disorder. This condition comes about after someone has experienced or witnessed a traumatic event.
- Symptoms of PTSD can include nightmares, severe anxiety, flashbacks, and unwanted thoughts about the traumatic event.
- Sometimes PTSD symptoms do not show up until years after the traumatic event has taken place. The symptoms can be unexpectedly triggered by something that recalls the event to the memory.
- PTSD can stem from a number of events, but the most common factors are: physical or sexual abuse or violence, time spent in combat, a serious accident, or abuse as a child.
- PTSD is treatable and manageable. If you or someone you know suffers from a traumatic event, the sooner you get mental health support, the better for dealing with the stress of the event.
If you or anyone you know needs mental health support, please contact us at Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine. For more information about PTSD, please visit Mayo Clinic’s website.