Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine is a group of psychiatrists in Augusta County, VA specializing in the treatment of mood and thought disorders, major depression, PTSD, Bipolar disorder, and Schizophrenia. The psychiatrists at Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine are passionate about creating a program of care that’s the perfect fit for you. That’s why we offer comprehensive care to all of our patients through group therapy, single therapy, or cognitive behavioral therapy.
Much of the Southeast has been experiencing a preview of spring the past few days. After a number of rainy days, it’s especially nice to see the sun shining through the clouds. In fact, a number of studies have shown that sunshine has benefits for both our mental and physical health. So, spend some time outdoors and bask in the sunlight (but don’t forget to wear your sunscreen)!
Here are some of the health benefits of sunlight:
- Sunlight can boost your serotonin levels, which can in turn improve your mood and help to relieve stress.
- Sunlight also causes your body to create vitamin D, which can in turn help to strengthen your bones.
- Sunlight can also help improve some skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, acne, and jaundice
- Some studies have shown that an hour of exposure to natural light earlier in the day can help you sleep better at night.
- In addition, time spent outdoors, with the fresh air and sunlight, is shown to have an overall positive effect on your physical and mental well being.
While sunlight has a number of benefits, be sure to take precautions when you’re out in the sun: wear sunscreen and protective clothing to prevent a sunburn.
For a group of qualified and caring psychiatrists in the Augusta County, VA area, give us a call at Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine.