Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine is a group of psychiatrists in Augusta County, VA specializing in the treatment of mood and thought disorders, major depression, PTSD, Bipolar disorder, and Schizophrenia. The psychiatrists at Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine are passionate about creating a program of care that’s the perfect fit for you. That’s why we offer comprehensive care to all of our patients through group therapy, single therapy, or cognitive behavioral therapy.
Everyday Stress Management
We all experience stress in our everyday lives. Sometimes the stress is higher than it is at others, but it’s good to take steps to manage the stress in your life before it overwhelms you. So, here are some helpful stress management tips:
- Creating a routine can help manage stress. This includes an exercise routine, sleep routine, and work routine. However, it is also important to remember that your routine may sometimes require some flexibility.
- Exercise regularly to help relieve stress. Exercise comes with a number of benefits for both your physical and mental health.
- Make good sleep a priority, and try to get 7-9 hours of sleep each night.
- Turn off social media! Whether this means that you get rid of it completely, or that you limit your time on social media sites, it’s important to plug into the real world and not become consumed by social media.
- Learn some breathing techniques to help you self-soothe in moments of stress.
- Try out other mindfulness practices like meditation and yoga.
- Don’t overbook yourself. Remember that it’s okay to say no to some offers, events, and opportunities.
- A natural and sweet way to help manage your stress is by eating a spoonful of honey. Honey is shown to have elements that reduce inflammation in the brain and improve your mood.
- Hug someone. The act of hugging has been shown to release endorphins, which will give you an instant pick-me-up. Cuddling with your pets has the same positive effects on your mood as hugging a human. So, whether it’s a puppy or a pal, just hug it out!
- Organize a room in your home or your desk at work. Removing clutter from an area you normally use can help to relieve stress and make you feel more productive and calm.
- Light a candle or some incense for some relaxing aromatherapy that can help you to calm down and relax.
- If you find stress coming on, start humming your favorite song. Humming is shown to slow down your heart rate, which will help to relieve your feelings of building stress and anxiety. It also helps to relax the muscles in your face, neck, and shoulders.
Find a Hobby
Hobbies are a great way to relieve stress. Not only can they help you clear your mind of stress, they can also provide outlets for creativity and a healthy way to explore and express your emotions. In addition, some hobbies can help you connect with others and create a network of friends.
Some hobbies that are great for relieving stress are:
- Doing puzzles
- Creating art
These are just a few examples, but really, any hobby that brings you peace and joy is a good start to managing your stress!
Speak with a Mental Health Professional
Another great way to manage stress is to speak with a mental health professional. They can help you identify sources of stress in your life and also help you to come up with techniques to help you deal with that stress.
In addition, just the act of speaking with someone, especially someone who is a trained professional, can help to relieve stress.
For psychiatrists in the Augusta County, VA area, give us a call at Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine.