Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine is a group of psychiatrists in Augusta County, VA specializing in the treatment of mood and thought disorders, major depression, PTSD, Bipolar disorder, and Schizophrenia. The psychiatrists at Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine are passionate about creating a program of care that’s the perfect fit for you. That’s why we offer comprehensive care to all of our patients through group therapy, single therapy, or cognitive behavioral therapy.
Numerous studies have shown that spending time outdoors can be great for both your mental and physical health. Take advantage of the milder temperatures of fall and get outside.
The Benefits of Going Outside
Here are some of the benefits of spending time outside:
- When it comes to your physical health, being outside can increase your vitamin D intake from sunlight exposure. Vitamin D comes with a number of benefits, including a boosted immune system, lowered blood pressure, and a better mood.
- Time outdoors can also help improve your breathing and air circulation. Fresh air has less pollutants in it than even your home, and time outside can have you breathing easy in no time.
- Being outside can also encourage more physical activity. Whether you’re taking a walk, playing golf, hiking, or riding your bike, spending time outside makes you more likely to get up and get moving.
- Between the fresh air, sunlight, and exercise, being outside can boost your mood by increasing your endorphins, and it can even help relieve feelings of depression. This can also lead to a reduction in stress and lowered blood pressure.
- Another super important benefit of being outdoors is the opportunity to unplug from the virtual world. When you go outside, put your devices out of sight, and just take in the beauty of the natural world around you. Forget about the stress of the hustle and bustle of everyday life and breathe in some fresh air.
Ways to Enjoy the Outdoors
There are a number of ways that you can get outside and reap the free and natural benefits of the outdoors. Here are some ideas:
- Take a hike, go for a walk around your neighborhood, and even enjoy a stroll in your backyard
- Gardening is a great stress reliever that comes with a number of rewards such as beautiful flowers, fruits, and vegetables to enjoy
- If you have little ones, take them for a nature scavenger hunt. Have them find something on their hunt for every color in the rainbow.
- Take a book outside and enjoy it on your front porch or your deck.
- Have dinner al fresco with your family when the weather is nice.
- Take a sketchpad or an easel outdoors and create some art based on what you see (it doesn’t even have to be “good” art as long as you enjoy it).
If your work schedule prevents you from spending much time outdoors, take a few minutes when you can. Eat your lunch outside or take your laptop to a bench outdoors and answer some e-mails. Pick a flower from your garden and sit it on your desk at work. All of these are simple ways to connect with nature and boost your mood without having to spend hours outdoors.
For psychiatrists in the Augusta County, VA area, give us a call at Shenandoah Psychiatric Medicine.